Case Study

Messangi Gains Visibility and Control with CloudHealth

35% Cost Reduction
The team saved 35% on RDS and EC2 costs using CloudHealth recommendations
97% Reservations
With help from CloudHealth, Messangi is now running 97% of their EC2 instance hours under reservations
Streamlined Tagging
CloudHealth consolidates information from various data streams, streamlining the tagging process

Before CloudHealth, we mostly had no idea about our cos—no way to predict what it would be, or to explain why it was increasing,” says Julio Ortega, the Operations Manager at Messangi, a leading provider of mobile engagement solutions for driving customer loyalty. “Once we started using the platform, that all changed.”

Messangi's cloud challenges 

In Julio’s daily job, he deals with platform support, DevOps, cap analysis, and AWS cloud billing. The latter was the primary driver for purchasing CloudHealth: getting cost under control. Julio wanted to improve Messangi's cloud cost management program: “I wanted to be able to conduct better cost analysis, and implement a more formal process for dealing with cost in the cloud.”

First, he needed to get the right visibility.

An AWS customer that’s “all-in on the cloud,” Messangi supports clients across multiple countries. Being a global organization forces them to maintain a high level of service and support at all hours. The cloud makes this business model attainable; it enables the company to leverage availability across various zones. Julio and his team, however, were starting to feel the limits of AWS Trusted Advisor. “We had just undergone a full migration, moving workloads to the cloud, and wanted to go beyond the capabilities of AWS Trusted Advisor before costs began to spike. I knew it was only a matter of time, but I didn’t have the right level of visibility, so I set out to fix that. I didn’t want the company to spend a lot of money without having proper control over my environment.”

Finding a solution 

“With respect to just billing and cost management, CloudHealth has helped us immensely,” says Julio. But he and Messangi exemplify the mentality that cost is about more than just dollars and cents.

Rather than exclusively relying on CloudHealth to drive down cloud costs and help forecast spend more accurately, Julio also used the platform to automate certain processes and simplify day-to-day operations and boost efficiency. Even automating minor actions has had an impact.

"Setting up alerts for when a new service is added was an example of something we automated. That’s a simple enough thing, but before CloudHealth we wouldn’t have had the visibility to know that it was added."

— Julio Ortega
Operations Manager, Messangi

The results

Once Messangi was up and running with the CloudHealth platform, they began to see results almost immediately.

"We saved 35 percent on our RDS and EC2 costs. As a result of that, we were able to integrate new services strategically."

— Julio Ortega
Operations Manager, Messangi

By using the CloudHealth platform, Messangi is able to run 97% of their Amazon EC2 Instance hours under reservations, leaving only 3% running On-Demand. This saves the company thousands of dollars every month.

CloudHealth ameliorated their visibility challenges, as well, consolidating information from various data streams. “That helped us a lot,” says Julio. “The tagging process went from being very cumbersome to extremely streamlined.”

Messangi also takes advantage of CloudHealth’s rightsizing capabilities. Using CPU, memory, network, and disk metrics from New Relic, Julio gets recommendations on where they can downgrade oversized EC2 Instances, and how much money that would save them. Cloud adoption can be a long, arduous process for companies that don’t conduct proper up-front planning. Messangi is the exception, in that their transition to the cloud went smoothly, without major stumbling blocks.

There are many reasons for this, one of which was Julio’s foresight. “My advice to someone else in my position would be to get control of your spend from the very start. That should be the first thing you do on the day you decide to adopt the cloud. Cost in the cloud is very different to on-premises. Then, once you’ve managed cost, you can move on to optimizing all aspects of your cloud.”